The charger has a wide-spreading flange and is painted in blue with a shepherd in a water landscape. He wears a hat and carries a knapsack, and holds a long staff in his left hand. He is crossing a bridge, to his right is a tree and further in the background a village is visible, to the left ships sail on open water. The flange is painted with an ornamental decor of arch-shaped segments and ox head motifs. Three stilt marks, which are characteristic for majolica, are visible in the centre.
Dimensions: 36,3 cm / 14.29 in.
The decor of a landscape with a shepherd crossing a bridge is related to tile decors from the period 1670-1750. Shepherds are mainly painted on tiles and were particularly popular. They also appear on majolica dishes from the period 1650-1750, and on faience plates and lobed dishes from the second half of the seventeenth century.